Friday, May 19, 2006

just sharing

Was up really early today, too early for my taste. i am such a night owl...but part of my 90 days to a better me.
i think i'm still floating from wednesday!! but not for long, our first practice is this sunday. Mike already has great ideas for us. can't wait! so excited, okay i'll stop. sorry.
Still reading SARK, this is jumping out at me right now:
Faces Of Intimacy....
nobody tells us as lil girls that we may fall in love and have moments of hating our beloved, or have ridiculus arguments at 2am over something neither person understands.
called "the nuance of annoyance", all the tiny and large things they do that annoy you, come forward. (all the things we ignored or thought were cute at one time, hmmm, drives me f***ing nuts now)
we are not taught "intimate negotiations"--involves adjustment, compromise, integrity, truth telling, options, willingness, and heart*full listening. (my stubborn ass)
the common goal should be UNION...she goes on to say, i either isolate myself, or try to "take over" with loud suggestions, detailed directions, and rigid ideas... my goal is frequently being right. ( my way dammit)
emotional storms pass thru me frequently and since i generally try to resist most feelings as soon as i feel them, they tend to get stuck, be projected, or hoarded for attack later. (working on the resisting and projection part for sure)
we must communicate less out of our heads and more from our hearts.
we need to understand ourselves intimately before we can recognize all the "faces of intimacy" and the many forms it takes.
(this one is a big one for me, since i am such a romantic) let go of romantic expectations and embrace new, tender, intimate moments that appear in ways never imagined.
"intimacy happens in moments. the mistake we make is in wanting it all the time."
---jo ann magdoff
i think this is good advice that can be carried over into other relationships as well.
until then....

2 comments:

Angel said...

"we are not taught "intimate negotiations"--involves adjustment, compromise, integrity, truth telling, options, willingness, and heart*full listening."


wish i had read this before i went home this weekend...

Shelle said...

yep, and i keep having to read it to remind myself...sigh
this shytt ain't easy!