Monday, May 23, 2005

Were You Sober?

This was the question a friend recently asked me, peeking down the back of my shirt as she viewed my very freshly inked tattoo. "Very much so," I replied. I wouldn't have it any other way. Last thursday i spent over 4 hours at a local tattoo shop, 31/2 of those spent under the mercy of the gun. I have 3 other tats, so one more was just routine...at least I thought. I don't like avg. "what everybody else has" tattoos, because i am not ordinary and i don't follow the day to day grind...though outward appearances can fool you. My first tat over 9 years ago...a naked woman riding a crescent moon...symbolizes my sexuality and the beauty w/in. My second...a serpent dragon...symbolizes my dark side. My third flows down the back of my neck...my errogenous zone...need i say more(damn is that how u spell it, too lazy right now to check). So now i have this beautiful full figured...like me...sillouette of a woman w/butterfly wings gliding across my back. Like I said previously, i thought it was routine...but soon proved wrong for several reasons. She is a work in progress, just like I am. Her wings are not done...and I guess mine are not either. Still waiting for the perfect color combination, just the right light, and the exact moment when she can truly fly. The pain endured creating her was almost unbearable, but it was something i needed to "feel" to match the internal pain i am experiencing now in my life. I brought it out through the ink and the droplets of blood escaping my pores. So now I am awaiting the healing process of the tattoo and of me. I eagerly await for her flight, as she goes through the metamorphosis of coming into being. I guess I could and am talking about her and I.
So was I sober? "Yes" again i whisper....I wouldn't have it any other way.

2 comments:

CousinSarah said...

I cant wait to see it. Creation can often be an amazing release. Butterflies so fit you, although you already know that. So transforming...keep on growing girl, sometimes it is painful, but those beautiful wings eventually come in....just as they should.

Mahogany L. Browne said...

you made me want to get a damn tattoo... i have an extremely low tolerance for pain... but it was so beautifully written - that i'd give it a go! word...