Sunday, May 08, 2005

Not By Blood

Its an early Sunday afternoon, but not the usual beautiful sunny Sundays we have had lately. In fact, the thunder and rain have been relentless(no pun intended). Nothing can dampen my spirits today for several reasons. One its Mother's Day, and yes I am a mother of 3. Though the 3 may not live w/me, I am their mother and they are my babies none the less. I am eagerly awaiting for them now, since they are "taking Mom out to dinner", of course by way of Dad aka the tab picker upper. Three, my mother called me this morning. Not a big deal for some, but for me a relief. I have not spoken to her since January, soon before I moved out of my "comfortable existance"...notice the word existance, 'cause it was not "living." So to hear her voice was beautiful to me...i miss my mommy, even at 37.
Fourth, the time i had last night with the girls. A tossed around idea of having a girl's night out, came into fruitation with "girl's night in", and it was wonderful. Not everyone could make it, but I believe everyone who was suppose to be there -was. Still, I cannot wait for the next one. We ate until we could no more. Tequila lime wings, mini quiches, queso, chips, stuffed jalapenos, cookies, candy, chocolate covered strawberries....who in the hell said anything about a diet...still trying to rearrange things in the fridge. We drank margaritas until the damn bucket was empty, yes I said bucket. The drinks by the end of the night became laced w/ vodka soaked pineapples (thank u Erica). Move over cherries, there is a new kid in town.I am sure they will be seen again in many repeat performances at any upcoming parties or get togethers. We played games and asked "what if" questions, causing us to laugh so damn hard until faces turned red and some of us got close to peeing in our pants. Whew some of those questions got a lil interesting to say the least. Around 5 this morning we all finally laid it down, or pretty much passed the hell out. I found myself looking at these beautiful women, wondering how did i get so damn lucky to be in their presence. Each one of us very different...each one from different backgrounds...each one so unique and beautiful...yet still the fact remains how quite the same we all actually are really.
Myself, Jo, Dora, Taneka, Sarah, and Brandy. All women. A Sisterhood forming. Bonding new relationships and deepening old ones. All created through good food, good drink, laughter, and good company...oh yeah, and vodka pineapples. We may not be sisters by blood, but sometimes the Universe blesses us with the sisters we need along the way.
Happy Mother's Day

3 comments:

my coffee is always said...

Sorry I missed the girl's night out/in. Cannot wait to here the details..
13

bRandy said...

Shelle,
Thank you and Jo for hosting a wonderful night "in". It was beauty in its truest form to get to know you better.
-Brandy

CousinSarah said...

You are right about people coming into your life at the right times. You all have been a great breath of rejuvination for me. Jo said it was circular love and she was right about it. 5 women, then 6 who didnt know a lot about each other reflected themselves in similarities and learned in differences. Nodding heads to "What If" responses as we often drifted in memories and dreams to come, sharing. I cannot wait for what is next. As these connections continue to grow, the surprises, smiles and laughter are just more to be expected. I have never been around so many PASSIONATE women at one time. It is amazing and exhilirating. They betta watch out, cause the world really aint ready for the neo soooul women and our partners in crime to become a unified force. They just aint ready. Watchoutnow!