Sunday, February 25, 2007

B's Writing Lab...Fresh and Rough

Subject: It's Been A Long Time Since...
words given(can be used in any form):
evolution/effort
overwhelmed/open
bruised/bind
natural/necessity
lavish/living

its been a long time since i felt this way
able to smile again naturally
instead of out of necessity
...for my children not to question
...for my partner not to wonder
...for my friends not to doubt
...for my enemies not to elate
overwhelmed by knives left in my back
i cannot reach
before i would just take it out...lick it clean....hand it back
some ties that bind literally choked the words from my mouth
caused this open soul to close up shop
placed toothpaste mortar into the seams of an already crumbling foundation
brick by brick
i built my wall
pulled up my gate around this lavish castle
its safer here living with rose colored glasses on
playing in rose gardens with thorns
pricking skin sweetly
drawing blood slowly
bruise deeply
but he refused to let it continue
poked holed in my cocoon with my own pen
"you are bigger than this which hold you!
have you forgotten the feeling of words which once freed you?
have you forgotten your evolution?"
he threw the pen at me and said...
"Now go write your way BACK into your joy!"
...and i did
slowly
like i had forgotten what it meant to feel free
first crawling
then babysteps
then running...
as fast as i can
with all the effort in my existance
to throw this monkey off my back
i ran back to my self
took my hand
kissed my self
and smiled
and said "I AM HERE!"

i cannot tell you how much of a release this was. i didn't expect this to come out the way it did, but the spirit of poetry always has a mind of its own.
My Big Brotha B...thank you is not enough...i love you.

6 comments:

Angel said...

WOW! so much emotion in that piece! i can literally "hear" the transformations...can't believe i missed it!

Follow My Ink said...

Ohhhh lady lady, I felt the vibes of this flow!

layne bowden said...

okay. alright. jus give me a moment to compose myself. 'cause truly, honestly, seriously... this peace (yeah, i said PEACE) took my breath away! i LOVE it, shelle. if you only knew how much these words were a mirror to my soul... to my recent experiences!! but i'm gonna digress cause we both know i'll talk you to death!! (LOL)

thank you for sharing this!!

peace...

p.s. i'm still thinkin' 'bout posting it!! i didn't forget!! (LOL)

Shelle said...

angel, thanks yeah it was tough to follow my pen...but much needed.

follow, thank you

jus, thank you too, im sure a lot of folks can relate. yeah u bettr post it soon lol...i enjoyed the talk.

Raging Bull said...

They are good!! I was supposed to be trhere but I was under the weather and did not feel up to being out and also did not want to pass it on.

Copasetic Soul said...

i see the workshops are a beautiful thing....i might have to try this one myself.